The Apereo Learning Analytics Initiative (LAI) aims to accelerate the operationalization of Learning Analytics software and frameworks, support the validation of analytics pilots across institutions, and work together so as to avoid duplication where possible.
Work is underway across the learning analytics domain to realize an open analytics infrastructure. Institutions and companies are partnering to build a solid learning analytics foundation, in order to enable institutions to ask and answer strategic questions about learners – and take action on those insights. The LAI community is growing and we invite you to join us!
This diagram demonstrates the direction of an emerging Open Analytics Platform
In June 2015, a consortium led by Marist College and Unicon, were selected by Jisc to develop open source learning analytics components for Jisc’s UK-wide learning analytics and student intervention IT infrastructure. Further information on that work is available on the Unicon site.
The following are examples of LAI efforts in each of the five primary areas of learning analytics:
- Sakai Collaboration and Learning Environment (CLE) xAPI integration (University of Amsterdam, Unicon)
- Apereo Open Academic Environment (OAE) xAPI integration (UvA, Unicon)
- uPortal xAPI integration (UvA, Eric Dalquist, Unicon)
- Larissa, open source LRS (Universiteit van Amsterdam)
- OpenLRS, open source LRS (Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Unicon)
- Open Academic Analytics Initiative (OAAI), a proven open-source academic early alert system (Marist College)
- Framework for automation of learning analytics processing, starting with automation of the OAAI early alert system (Jisc, Marist, Unicon)
- Enhancements to the Sakai Site Stats Entity Broker interface to allow reports to be downloaded as JSON, which can then be post-processed and converted into a series of visual summaries (University of Oxford)
- OpenDashboard - (Jisc, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Unicon) a flexible LTI-based widget dashboard
- Student Success Plan, case management software supporting a holistic coaching and counseling model, and expediting proactive interventions for students in need (Jisc, Sinclair Community College, Unicon)
Want to join in?
The LAI community gladly welcomes new members. If you are interested in working towards a community-sourced analytics infrastructure, incubating software, sharing requirements, cross validating analytics pilots, while working in a wider community of interest, please contact:
Patrick Lynch: Community Officer for the Apereo Learning Analytics Initiative at analytics-coordinator [at] apereo.org
Additional information about LAI and the projects listed above can be found on the LAI Confluence page.
More information about xAPI can be found here http://adlnet.gov/capabilities/tla/experience-api.html
More infromation about IMSGlobal Caliper can be found here http://www.imsglobal.org/caliper/
Apereo LAI works closely with Jisc, SURF and other agencies to share best practive and experience. The Jisc Effective Learning Analytics blog is here http://analytics.jiscinvolve.org/wp/